TICKETS               SHOP               COMMUNITY

An Update On The Pitch

Rochdale Football Club would like to apologise again for the late postponement of the Vanarama National League fixture against Boston United on Tuesday night.

We understand the deep frustration and inconvenience this will have caused to both sets of fans and teams. We also appreciate that this frustration will be compounded by the fact that this was a rescheduled game, and the manner and late timing of the postponement were very regrettable. 

Below we have tried to set out in as much detail as possible information regarding: (i) the events leading up to the postponement, (ii) details regarding refund policies; (iii) the current status of the pitch and our options to try to resolve ongoing issues; (iv) alternative options available to us if the condition of the pitch does not improve.

1. Why did we not have a pitch inspection earlier?

      Our default position when we feel games are in serious doubt is to request inspections as early as possible, whether that be via the match referee themselves or from a local match official. For example, this season, three games have been postponed following early pitch inspections.

      For this particular game, the view of the Club for most of the day was that the pitch had a very good chance of being playable at kick-off and, when compared to the Yeovil Town fixture on Saturday (which was deemed playable), the pitch was only in marginally worse condition and improving. We wanted to give the game every chance of being played.

      Given the favourable forecast at the time, we believe it would have been very difficult for a match official to have ordered a postponement earlier in the day. Unfortunately, the forecast was incorrect, and we did see rain late in the afternoon, albeit not as heavy as in recent days. It was, however, enough to slow down the drying process, which involved the use of a ProCore machine and manual aeration, as well as sanding a small area in between the corner of the David Kilpatrick Main Stand and Smith Metals Family Stands.

      2. Why was a communication posted by the Club at 1pm confirming that the game was going ahead?

      At 1pm the Club posted a message confirming that no pitch inspection was planned and that, as things then stood, the match would go ahead as planned. The primary reason for making this post was in response to the BBC website preview of the game, which was left unchanged from the postponed December fixture and which, therefore, incorrectly said the match was postponed. We took the view that we needed to correct this as we were receiving phone calls / social media comments asking if the game was postponed, and we wanted to provide clarity on that point. At that moment in time (1pm), there was no pitch inspection planned, and therefore, the game was still going ahead as planned, as the post stated. With hindsight, in view of what ultimately happened, the post was regrettable, but it was made with good intentions.

      3. Who determines whether a game should be called off?

      Other than in situations where the decision is obvious (such as snow coverage, a frozen pitch, or standing water) the match referee has complete discretion. The decision as to whether a match is played is solely the referee’s.

      After the referee had inspected the pitch last night, he took the view that the game should be postponed, which is his prerogative. The reason for this was concerns about the ability of the ball to bounce/roll in a relatively small area of the corner between David Kilpatrick Main Stand and Smith Metals Family Stand. There is no criticism of the referee – he has a difficult job to do. There will always be an element of subjectivity on whether a surface is playable or not.

      4. If we know the pitch has problem areas – and will continue to have for the rest of the season – can we agree on a different process with the National League for future games where we can get an earlier view on playability?

      Yes, in exceptional circumstances this is possible, as has already been demonstrated by the early postponement of our planned home fixture with York City on 14/01/25. In that case, we were 100% confident that the surface would not be playable, and we also urgently needed to find a window of time to undertake emergency work on the pitch.

      However, the practicalities of this are that in the majority of cases, particularly after the emergency work that has been done, the pitch is unlikely to be deemed to be definitively unplayable prior to 24 hours before kick-off.

      5. If we can’t fix the pitch, where will we play our games? What arrangements have we made with the National League to enable us to play at other grounds given we now know the pitch is liable to fail inspection?

      Any alternative venue must be sanctioned by the National League, and an alternate venue remains an absolute last resort at this stage. Weather conditions will naturally improve as we enter the spring, and we believe that a combination of this, plus further remedial work and enhanced pitch covers, should allow us to fulfil our home fixtures at the Crown Oil Arena.

      Should further postponements occur, which of course we sincerely hope is not the case, there is still sufficient room in April for these to be rearranged at the time of writing. There is precedent in extreme circumstances for clubs to host on non-standard days of the week. For example, in last season’s National League, Wealdstone hosted their final four home league games of the season on Tuesday 09/04/24, Thursday 11/04/24, Saturday 13/04/24, and Tuesday 16/04/24 respectively, rather than moving to an alternate venue.

      Notwithstanding the above, we are raising this issue with the National League to ensure that we can be as organised as possible in the (hopefully unlikely) event that an alternative venue does need to be sourced later in the season.

      6. What is the refund policy?

      Supporters who requested a refund before Tuesday’s game will be issued payment from today. Everyone with a valid ticket for last night’s fixture will be entitled to attend the rearranged game on production of the valid ticket or, alternatively, be offered a full refund. Any refund will be processed within 48 hours of the fixture concluding on the rearranged date.

      7. What should people who bought DAZN subscriptions do?

      We have contacted DAZN today to request clarity on this point and we will update supporters as soon as we hear. Anyone in this position should also feel free to contact DAZN directly.

      8. This is the second time this season that this fixture has been postponed. Will Boston United fans be compensated in any way?

      There was good travelling support for Boston last night and it is very regrettable that they were unable to see a match played, particularly so given this was a rearranged match.

      Match cancellations are, unfortunately, a part of football, but given the specific circumstances of last night’s postponement and as a gesture to the Boston fans, we have offered to pay for (via the Boston Supporter’s Trust) coaches for all those Boston fans who wish to attend the match once rearranged.

      9. What can we do to the pitch to improve the situation in the short term? 

      We have consulted with numerous external experts on the matter, and the strong consensus is that any action that can realistically be undertaken mid-season will not solve the fundamental problem with the pitch. At best, it will only provide a temporary reprieve. All have been surprised at the rate of deterioration in recent weeks.

      The work we carried out in the centre of the pitch (which was unavoidable) together with other remedial work to date has cost a six-figure sum and is only a temporary measure.

      Our view – supported by the various consultants we have engaged – was that the other problem areas of the pitch did not warrant the same treatment as they were better draining (at the time), had more grass cover and were in lower-used areas of the pitch. Furthermore, it was not a realistic option to use the same approach in the short term in the other areas of the pitch because the financial cost becomes prohibitive. Any long-term solution to fix the pitch would involve digging up all of those areas so the cost is sunk.

      As previously notified, we had intended to Dryject the other problematic areas of the pitch but were unable to do so at the scheduled time because it requires the ground to be fully dry, and it has not achieved sufficient dryness to be able to carry out the work. 

      Given the pitch is drying so slowly, as an alternative to Dryjecting, contractors have been engaged instead to bring two Air2G2 machines on Friday of this week. These machines will be fitted with a mix of 12-inch and 9-inch tines, which should connect with the lateral and secondary drain slits, enhancing both the current drying process and the future drainage of the smaller problem areas.

      The purchase of enhanced pitch covers has been sanctioned to provide further protection in the run-up to future games, as has additional remedial works. We will continue to monitor the situation, take expert advice on future actions and commit to keeping the fanbase informed of plans and progress.